Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 2 News and Technology

Here we are  on this beautiful Wednesday, Day 2. You know, I like counting the days. It gives me something to show the passing of time.Each day feels like an accomplishment that way,probably because each day IS an accomplishment. I know other military spouses (and soldier too) who Don’t like to keep count.In fact my husband is one of those who doesn’t.He says counting makes his days seem to go by slower. Eh, to each there own right?

Anywho! Todays plan was fairly simple.Stay home and do some school and cleaning.We were successful in that attempt for the most part.Until I realized that I was out of trash bags..Grr! I get into the “stay home” mode and I don’t want to get out of it.Mostly because I don’t want to get out of my jammies!I have been looking into buying a new cell phone  though and figured if I had to go out for trash bags I may as well get my phone too. After a short time picking the phone I wanted (that’s the perk of doing your research ahead of time) and waiting what felt like a year to the kids(they told me so over and over and over again) I am the owner of a new phone.The only problem with this is that it took me FOREVER to figure out how to use my last phone! :0) I am not terribly technologically savvy. Tonight once the kids are in bed I will sit and play with my phone a bit and try to figure it out!

I think today I saw the beginnings of the emotional effects this deployment will have on the kids. The boys being older tend to handle things very well.We talk about missing dad.We pout together,cry together on occasion and keep on trucking.It’s the little kids who are the hardest to handle IMO.They know a major part of there life has changed and they DON’T understand why. Hannah (our 4 yr old) has had a rough day trying to listen to me. From screaming (she swears she was singing) in the cell phone store to poking her sister and making HER scream, its been a long day. I am trying to remember to be patient.I know what she is going through is hard. I am proud of myself today for keeping my cool with her.I am positive it has something to do with my prayers this morning because I specifically asked for patience!I knew I’d need it! I know there will be days that I don’t keep my temper.Days that I will feel overwhelmed and feel like I have failed. But today (thank you Heavenly Father) was a good day.

I got some disappointing news today from my sister.She is currently pregnant with my newest little nephew Mason.I have blogged before about the fact that he has Spina Bifida as well as clubbed feet.The biggest concern for him in utero is whether he will develop Hydrocephalus.Here is a brief definition “also known as "water in the brain," is a medical condition in which there is an abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the ventricles, or cavities, of the brain. This may cause increased intracranial pressure inside the skull and progressive enlargement of the head, convulsion, tunnel vision, and mental disability. Hydrocephalus can also cause death.” There have been monthly ultrasounds checking for fluid build up in Masons brain.It’s a common condition for babies with Spina Bifida.The worry is if it develops early in utero the only way to fix it is to deliver the baby and do surgery.Then you not only have the heath issue that come with the SB but you also have premature issues as well.Todays appointment showed that the fluid is starting to build up in Masons brain.Now it is a balance act to see how long the doctors can let him stay in and keep growing and developing without waiting too long and having the hydrocephalus get bad. I am worried for my nephew, I’m worried for my sister and brother in law and I just don’t like knowing I am not there to help out and be a support to them right now.  My comfort is that in all things God is in charge.He knows what He is doing in Masons life and even if we cant understand Gods plan we CAN rest assured he is the author of it all.

1 comment:

Tristan said...

I'm so glad you're counting days - I think it helps too! Besides, I know that with your new camera I should get to see more pictures of my nephews and nieces, right? (hint hint)

Poor Hannah, she's going to be a challenge for a bit with her "Emma-ness".

Yep, yesterday's news stunk. I had nightmares all night. Today is the first day of December. Time is running out and a hundred things are coming to mind that I have to figure out if things happen in 3 weeks. I wish you could be here too, but really you're where you need to be, especially for the beginning of this deployment. The more 'normal' life can be for your kiddos the better right now. Then when you do finally come out here it will seem like a fun change to them for a while.