Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ephesians 5: 22-33

Something that has been on my heart lately is this scripture. In Ephesians we are taught how we as wives aught to be toward our husbands and our husbands are taught how they aught to be towards their wives. I used to think that the Scriptures that told us to be submissive to our husbands were just old fashioned.That a husband being the head of the wife and the family was just so..dated. How silly and naive I was! At times I also felt the need to be "the head" of the house. That I was in charge.That I wore the pants in the family. Again I must say how silly of me!
I didn't realize that Gods word is never dated or old fashioned!The Lords word is as relevant to today as it ever was and it will continue to be so for every generation after mine.
I've learned that to be submissive to my husband isn't about being down cast or beaten down. Its not about having no opinion of my own either. Its about trusting that the Lord placed him as a shield and a protector for our family. To lovingly lead and guide.
In Ephesians the Lord tells husbands to "Love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"Husbands are also counseled to " Let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself." I think of how Christ loves us. How He gave his life for each and every one of us. To think that my husband is to love me like that =-}
Ephesians council for women is this "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord." and "Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing." I think of how the church is subject to Christ. Christ is the loving shepherd. He guides and directs His sheep with a watchful care. Being subject to my husband is like being Christs sheep. I can rest assured in the protection and love of my husband as I follow his lead.
My favorite part of this scripture says "Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband." This scripture speaks of courtesy and respect. I cant count the number of times I have seen spouses, particularly wives put their husbands down in public and to other people. Or seen a wife speak negatively to her husband in front of their children. I know just how hurtful this is and the terrible effect it can have in our homes.Especially with our children. In the earlier years of our marriage I was just such a women. If I became angry at my husband I would openly say things in front of our children. I never thought a thing about it until I started hearing these same terrible things coming out of my sons mouths to their Father. I realized that I was showing my sons by my actions that being disrespectful to there father was OK.
I am glad to say this is something my husband and I have worked at very hard in our marriage. Loving and respecting each other.
As a couple we have been praying recently about career decisions my husband has to make in the next several months. I have felt very unsure about the tentative plans my husband has been sharing and so I took it to the Lord in prayer. Asking him to help me feel assured of what was right for our family at this time. The answer I have receive over and over again has been "Trust that I will tell your husband, who is the head of your family, what he is to do."
I can not explain the peace and even joy I have felt about this. I know that I don't have to fret, worry or stress over this any more. My husband is a good man who loves the Lord and the Lord will guide him in the right way. It was so nice to be able to tell my husband in conversation that I knew whatever the decision he made I would be behind him 100% because I knew he would lead our family in the right way. I could here in his voice how good that made him feel, to know that I trusted in him to take care of us.
I would challenge all of you wives out there to make it a matter of prayer to be a more trusting and submissive wife and to reverence your husband daily. It is something I am not perfect at but am working on daily and I know with the Lords help I can succeed and you can too.

No comments: