Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Newest Member of the Family

Oh the fun and interesting paths that homeschool can lead us down! We have a new addition in our household.Let me introduce you to Nagini our new baby California Kingsnake.

100_8568

You see it all started last week when my husband found this great new show on netflix.For the life of me I can’t remember the name.But the gist of the show is that this really energetic guy travels the world in search of different snakes and other reptiles.My sons were just enthralled!Next were a few shows about Komodo Dragons.Another huge hit with the kiddos of the household. At this point my boys were asking when we would be finishing our insect study and when oh when could we study reptiles?! Being the good homeschool mommy I am I said “Lets start right away!” I love to “strike while the iron is hot” so to speak! Anywho, we searched our bookshelves for any title we could find about reptiles and found several,took a trip to the library and planned a field trip to the local zoo that just happens to have several Komodo Dragons!

While in conversation with a friend one day I learned that our local pet store had several animals of the reptilian persuasion.Frogs,lizards and snakes galore!Well we decided not to waste any time,packed up our brood and heading over!Let me just say I have never owned a reptile of any sort.Nor had any desire whatsoever to have one.To my total surprise while we were there we fell head over heels for this cute little striped fellow! Daddy being the sensible one said “Lets go home and do some research!” Here we are a week later the proud owners of our very first reptile!

Knowing how these things go with four kids in the house we decided right off to let everyone pick a name for our new little guy and then to draw one from a hat.My daughter Hannah said she wanted to name it “H” like Hannah. Justin decided “Slithy” would be good because of course they slither. Isaiah picked “Nagini” being a huge Harry Potter fan.My husband picked “Hermin” and I wanted “King Henry” because after all He is a Kingsnake! In the end though Isaiah won out and Nagini He was named!

No comments: