Friday, June 26, 2009

To Breastfeed or Not to Breastfeed?

Ugh.. To be completely honest I don't even want to be contemplating this question! I didn't breastfeed my first two kids and had no real desire to do so. With my third baby I wanted to breastfeed and did for about a week. By the end of the week I had bleeding nipples (sorry if that's to much info) and cried in pain every time I picked up my baby girl.That was not how I wanted to feel when I fed my sweet baby. BUT I didn't call a lactation consultant. The girls (my breast) are a fairly private thing for me and having some stranger grab and shove and juggle them in an attempt to help me breastfeed was NOT my idea of a good time. So after a week I cried as I sent my hubby off to the store for bottles and formula.
So tell me after all of that Why oh Why is the thought of nursing creeping into my mind! It was hard and it hurt and this time around my hubby will be deployed and I'll be alone to deal with all of it! Still though breastfeeding is on my mind!
I know that breastfeeding CAN be a wonderful bonding experience for a mother and baby. I know that it is healthiest for baby too. But the thought of doing it again and it hurting and me failing at it is really not a pleasant one. Have you ever felt like Heavenly Father was putting a thought in your head that you really Didn't want to listen too/think about/ pray on? I think I am there =-}

2 comments:

Tristan said...

Yup, been there, felt that. You know I'm here if you decide to give it a go. As one who has struggled through it 4 out of 5 times - give up the guilt either way! If you try and it works, try and it doesn't, or don't try at all that baby is going to be fed, loved, and spoiled!

ChristinaB said...

LOVE your choice of words there "struggled" through it! haha thats the part I am worried about!