Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sweet success!

Today I really wanted to make a healthy dinner for my kids. My families eating habits haven't been the best lately and I want to make a change.I have been doing some reading online.Trying to learn what I can and discover what my philosophy will be when it comes to how I choose to eat and feed my family. I’ve learned that for any major lifestyle changes slow and steady usually wins the race. So I started today with dinner.

I made a chicken and pasta dish. I sautéed  chicken breast strips with some garlic and pepper. Then added in A diced zucchini and carrot. While that was cooking I put on a pot of whole wheat pasta. After draining I added a bit of butter and fresh grated parmesan cheese. Mixed in the chicken and veggies and there you go. To go along I also sliced up some strawberries. Some of the things I really liked about this dish were 1.The veggies, its like pulling teeth to get enough veggies into my families diets! 2. The chicken had no antibiotics or hormones 3. The pasta was whole wheat pasta and a good healthy switch from the regular stuff. The only thing  I would like to change the next time I make this dish is that  I’d like to get organic locally grown veggies which I did not this time.

100_6183 Yummy!

I have to be honest, I was a bit concerned about my kids  actually being willing to eat it! I have a picky eater or two and I know making changes to kids diets doesn't always go well! Here is the  great part, ALL of my kids ate it and the two oldest had second helpings!! I call that a culinary success!

So far I have come up with a few simple goals for our family eating habits.  First is to get rid of most (if not all) of the processed,pre packaged foods we eat. Second is trying to buy as much fresh,local and organic products I can.

We are moving in a little over a week and I am excited to be doing some research and planning now  so that once we get to our destination we can stock the kitchen with a lot of the healthier options that we are trying to switch to.

I’d love to hear about any good websites you all may know about that can help me learn more about having a healthy lifestyle!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

http://knowandgrowfood.blogspot.com/

this is a site my mom helps run (she's in western WA too). It has info about local food resources, growing your own, and also some more general stuff including recipes, websites, etc. :)