Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A little self improvement ;0)

This weekend two things weighed heavily on my mind.I know that Heavenly Father was showing me some area’s of our families life that need some improvement.

The first was our relating to each other as parents and children.A fault that I have is that I tend to lose my temper too easily with my kids. I KNOW that I  shouldn't yell at them.I know that just because they have misbehaved and need correction it doesn't follow that I need to raise my voice.But I have really become lax in my efforts to control my voice and my words.This weekend God directed me to my bookshelf to re-read the book “The Duggars: 20 and Counting”. All throughout this book Jim Bob and Michelle talk about raising there super size brood and how important it has been to really train their hearts and discipline with love.If God can make Michelle able to keep her calm and not yell when she has 4 times the number of children that I do.Then I KNOW God can make me able! I just have to Pray,pray,pray and work,work,work.

The other thing really put into my mind this weekend is our money management.My husband just came home from a year long deployment.After a deployment everyone comes away with a sense of being deprived.My dear husband was deprived of a lot of the basic comforts of home.He couldn't  just hop in his car(nope didn't have one of those) and run to the mall(not that either) and grab a pretzel and a lemonade.He couldn't  wear whatever he chose.He couldn't sleep in Saturday he had to work 6-7 days a week.Heck he couldn't even go to the bathroom in privacy.He had to leave his room,walk down the road a ways just to use a public bathroom(YUCK)!

The kids and I were majorly deprived of Daddy!The kids didn't have there wrestling buddy.I didn't have my other half.We didn't get any truly whole family time.Not for a whole year.Since my husband has been home we have been “making up for lost time”.None of the things we have been spending on are bad.We bought some camping gear for family trips,we went to the aquarium,bought toys,had date nights out and have enjoyed eating out…A LOT!Granted we have not gone into debt.But we have been spending every penny He makes and then some!Even dipping into savings!Just for some fun,relaxation and family time.Again God directed me to my own bookshelf this weekend to re-read “Financial Peace” and “The Total Money Makeover” By Dave Ramsey. These books are great.They are written by a Christian man who by the time he was 30 had been a millionaire in real estate and had then gone bankrupt. He lays out principals for money management that make sense and WORK.After reading his book the first time we as a family became dedicated to getting out of debt,staying out of debt and having an emergency fund(a bit of money set aside for a rainy day) and we were able to do just that.Re-reading these books this weekend really helped me to get more dedicated in working our budget and getting back on track with our saving.

I got up this morning to have a bit of quiet time in the Word and asked God to direct me to the passages I needed to hear.He sent me to Proverbs chapter 21.Specifically to Verse 20:

“There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.”

And verse 23:

“Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.”

:0) On days like this when I can sit back and see the pieces fit together.See God directing my heart and mind.I cant help but smile. I know God lives.I know He loves me. I know He hears me and He answers when I pray.

No comments: